Another week, another barrage of news. Positivity can sometimes feel very hard to come by, and it’s understandable to want to detach from the headlines sometimes. But knowledge is power.

 

That’s why, each week, we’ll be rounding up the news items you need to know about. These aren’t always the stories that make the front page. Rather, these are the ones we think women who rise need to be aware of.

 

Britain divided over lockdown response

Manchester entered the highest tier three level on Friday
Image: Reuters

 

The UK’s coronavirus response became more localised than ever this week, as each of the home nations imposed different control measures.

 

Scotland has unveiled a new five tier system, set to come into play on November 2, offering officials the option to lock down individual council regions.

 

In Wales, officials imposed a ‘firebreak’ lockdown and banned all sales of non-essential goods in supermarkets, branding the move an issue of fairness.

 

Meanwhile, Northern Ireland remained in its own circuit breaker lockdown and the three-tier system continued to be applied across England, despite continuing controversy.

 

On Tuesday, mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, was live on TV when he learned the region would move into tier three without demands for further funding being met.

 

The government allocated £22million – just £8 per person – to the region instead of the requested £65 million.

 

Parents of 545 children ‘not found’ in US

The US-Mexico border ‘wall’
Image: Guillermo Arias/AFP/Getty Images

 

US officials have been unable to locate the parents of 545 children separated from their families at the country’s border.

 

Lawyers say the children were removed by immigration officials in 2017 and 2018 under Trump’s Zero Tolerance policy, and that their parents may have since been deported.

 

Work is now underway across central and southern America to locate the families, while the children, who have been released from detention, remain in the US.

 

When the issue was raised in Thursday’s presidential debate, Donald Trump insisted the children concerned had not been removed, but rather brought in by “coyotes and lots of bad people, cartels.”

 

A spokesman for his campaign later claimed many of the families don’t want their children returned to them.

 

David Starkey race investigation closed without charge

Historian David Starkey made offensive claims about genocide and slavery
Image: Getty

 

Scotland Yard this week closed its investigation into racist comments made by the historian David Starkey, following a backlash over free speech rights.

 

The probe into Starkey and Darren Grimes, a conservative activist who was interviewing him, was concluded following a review of its ‘proportionality’.

 

Both men had been placed under investigation in September for the public order offence of stirring up racial hatred.

 

Starkey had claimed that slavery was not genocide because “otherwise there wouldn’t be so many damn Blacks in Africa or in Britain.”

 

He was later stripped of a number of academic honours, while Grimes apologised for failing to challenge him on camera.

 

Businessman facing jail for trying to force woman to kiss him

The court heard Pavel Grushin’s victim was left traumatised by his behaviour

 

A businessman who grabbed a woman at a Christmas party and repeatedly tried to kiss her has been told he’s facing jail, after being found guilty of attempted sexual assault.

 

Pavel Grushin, who was also found guilty of common assault, had cornered his victim in a lift at London’s Royal Festival Hall in December and repeatedly tried to force her to kiss him.

 

While the case was initially heard at Croydon Magistrates Court, Judge Julie Cooper said his offences were too serious for sentencing there, referring it up the crown court.

 

Grushin’s behaviour left his victim suffering anxiety and panic attacks so severe she was forced to leave her job.

 

He was said to have later boasted to police about his looks, suggesting his victim may have been attracted to him.

 

Duke of York asked Ghislaine Maxwell for info on accuser

The Duke of York denies ever meeting Virginia Guiffre, pictured along with Maxwell
Image: Shutterstock

 

Prince Andrew asked Ghislaine Maxwell for information about the woman making under-age sex claims against him, according to court documents released in the US.

 

The Duke of York emailed Maxwell, who is charged with child sex offences, asking her for information about Virginia Giuffre, who he later branded a liar.

 

Giuffre claims the prince had sex with her when she was 17, during a period of time in which she was used as a ‘sex slave’ by his friend, Jeffrey Epstein.

 

Epstein later killed himself in prison while on remand for trafficking offences, while Maxwell, his former partner, is awaiting trial for assisting him.

 

The Duke, who has not been charged with any crimes, has refused to comment.

 

Protests erupted in Poland over tightening of abortion law

Thousands took to the streets from Friday over the ruling

 

A series of protests erupted across Poland this weekend, amid public anger over the tightening of already draconian abortion laws.

 

Thousands of people took to the streets after a constitutional tribunal ruled an exception for cases of foetal abnormality should be revoked.

 

Fewer than 2,000 legal abortions are carried out in the country annually, the vast majority due to malformation – but women’s groups estimate 200,000 more are conducted illegally each year.

 

The ruling came as the country entered a period of strict measures aimed at curbing a second wave of coronavirus cases.

 

Marcus Rashford enlists eateries to feed kids through school holidays

Rashford was recently made an MBE in recognition of his campaigning work Image:
Instagram @MarcusRashford

 

A host of eateries this week joined forces with footballer Marcus Rashford to provide thousands of ‘free school meals’ to children across England.

 

It came after the government refused to extend a meal vouchers scheme to ensure vulnerable children didn’t go hungry over the October holidays.

 

Manchester United star Rashford has now turned his Twitter feed into a network of venues offering to support struggling families.

 

The 22-year-old, who became an MBE this month, said he’d been blown away by the response, writing: “Selflessness, kindness, togetherness, this is the England I know.”

 

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have extended their free school meals schemes, but MPs voted against doing the same in England.

 

Share this
Back to category